Sunday, June 17, 2012

sunday: '80s music and wholefood baking


I'm currently obsessed with eating wholefoods.
I eat pretty cleanly, anyway - here are my sins:

- single packet porridge for breakfast
- muesli bar for morning snack
- cuppa soup for afternoon snack
- instant hot chocolate after my dinner

Apart from that, the rest of my diet is fruits, veggies, whole
grains, nuts, beans etc. So I'm going to try to right my wrongs.

Firstly, I'm going to swap the morning muesli bar for some
homemade delights. I got this recipe from the Catie's blog, which
is where my inspiration has sprung from. Be sure to check it out,
if this is your kind of thing. There are loads of recipes to try.


FIG AND HAZELNUT BREAKY BARS


all you need is

180g of organic oats
90g of hazelnuts raw
7 big juice dried organic figs
80g of rapadura raw sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of celtic sea salt

to be added
2 big eggs and 1/2 tbs of olive oil
Put all ingredients (except the figs) into a food processor until finely ground.
Chop the figs thinly and throw into the dry mix.
Add the eggs and the olive oil and combine.
Take 1-2 tbsp of the dough an roll into a sausage, then flatten with your palm.
This dough will not spread or rise in the oven so make the
dough into the size and shape you want your bars to take on.

Cook in a preheated 180C oven for 10-12 mins,
leave to cool for 10 mins before tucking in.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely need to make some decent whole food snack bars. Oh dear, I also love a cuppa soup, maybe I should be avoiding them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, they sound delicious! I'm going to look at Catie's blog now. I'm kind-of-sort-of trying to go from vegetarian to vegan but it's the lazy foods that are stopping me (ie. muffins from the bakery, chocolate, vegie take away...), so the more I can cook from scratch and know exactly what's in my food, the better! Good luck on your mission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound very good, I think I might well make some. I just adore figs!

    I had to smile at 'celtic sea salt' it sounds so unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I have to try this. I need more cooking and baking in my life. Merci for this.

    ReplyDelete